Korean Educational Development Institute (https://www.kedi.re.kr, also referred to as “KEDI”) announces following policy to protect privacy and personal information of the users in accordance with Article 30 of Personal Information Protection Act and to alleviate relevant concerns of the users.
Article 1. Purpose of Personal Information Management
- The “English webpage” of Korean Educational Development Institute collects minimal personal information of the users for the publication of KEDI Journal of Education Policy (KJEP).
- The management purpose of the registration and disclosure of personal information files on the “English webpage” in accordance with Article 32 of Personal Information Protection Act is like the following.
|Category||Consignees||Purpose of management|
|List of authors and articles submitted for KJEP||Consent of the users||Conservation of materials of authors who submitted an article for KJEP|
Article 2. Management and Retention Period of Personal Information
- The “English webpage” manages and retains personal information of the users within a specific time period that either the laws allow or the users have consented to at which their personal information was collected.
- The management and retention periods are like the following.
|Category||Consignees||Period of retention|
|List of authors and articles submitted for KJEP||Consent of the users||3 years|
Article 3. Personal Information Items for Management
The “English webpage” manages personal information items as the following.
|Category||List of personal information collected|
|List of authors and articles submitted for KJEP||Email address, password, full name, Academic Degree, Affiliation, Field of Study, and Country/Region|
Article 4. Provision of Personal Information to a Third Party
The “English webpage” processes personal information of the users within the scope
specified for the purpose of personal information collection, and does neither go beyond
the scope nor provide the information to a third party except for the following conditions in which:
- A user consents to providing his or her personal information to a third party;
- A binding regulation exists in the law;
- Either a user or the legal representative is under a situation in which expressing his or her opinion is difficult or a user or a third party’s prior consent is difficult to be obtained due to a reasonable cause such as unidentifiable address and therefore the provision of personal information is perceived to be necessary for the benefit of the user or a third party’s life, body, or property;
- Personal information is provided for statistical or research purposes in a way that ensures anonymity of the users;
- Protection Committee has deliberated and approved of the provision of personal information to a third party as the performance of duties/obligations specified by other laws is difficult;
- Provision of personal information to foreign governments or international organizations is required for treaties or fulfillment of international agreements;
- Provision of personal information is necessary for the investigation of a crime and the initiation and maintenance of public prosecution;
- Provision of personal information is necessary to carry out the judicial affairs of the court;
- Provision of personal information is necessary for the execution of punishment, probation, and protective measures.
- Matters concerning Clause 1 are announced on the website for the users.
Article 5. Consigning Personal Information Management
The “English webpage” consigns personal information management as below in order to efficiently process and manage personal information.
Consigning Department Consignees Matters for Consignment Vice president/ Research Planning and Management Division Office of International Cooperation Truebon Corporation Conservation of data for the list of authors of KJEP journal articles
- The “English page” provides information, including prohibition of inference of personal information other than for the purpose of performing duties, technical managerial protection measures, restriction on reconsignment with another agency, and responsibilities of consignees for management, monitoring, and compensatory damages on the documents such as contracts signed in accordance with Article 25 of Personal Information Protection Act and monitors whether a consignee carefully manages personal information of the users.
- Immediate announcements will be made through personal information management policy when a change to the content of consignment or consignees occurs.
Article 6. Rights and Obligations of the Users and Legal Representatives and Exercising those rights
- The users can exercise rights to view, edit, delete, and suspend processing of personal information at any time he or she wishes.
- The exercise of rights described in Clause 1 can be done through various forms such as written documents, emails, and FAX in accordance with Clause 1 of Article 41 of the Enforcement Decree of the Personal Information Protection Act and Korean Educational Development Institute will take measures at once.
- The exercise of rights described in Clause 1 can be done through the user’s legal representative or a delegate with a submission of a power of attorney in accordance with Form 11 of the Enforcement Decree of the Personal Information Protection Act.
- The request to view and suspend processing of personal information may be restricted in accordance with Clause 5 of Article 35, Clause 2 of Article 37 of the Personal Information Protection Act.
- The request to edit and delete personal information cannot be fulfilled if another law specifies the personal information in question as a target of collection.
- Korean Educational Development Institute will verify if the person who made a request, such as a request to view, edit, delete, or suspend processing personal information is the person of the personal information in question or a legitimate delegate of the person.
- The user, or subject of information, may exercise his or her rights and obligations through the department/person in charge of each personal information file or the person in charge of personal information protection as specified in Article 10 (Person in Charge of Personal Information Protection) and the research center will work to swiftly process the user’s request. In addition, users may request to view, edit, delete, and process necessary measures on the Ministry of the Interior and Safety’s comprehensive support portal (www.privacy.go.kr).
Article 7. Destruction of Personal Information
- The “English webpage” will destroy personal information without delay when the personal information is no longer needed due to an elapse of the retention period, achievement of the purpose of management of personal information and so on.
- The personal information, or personal information file, of a user may be moved to a separate database(DB) although there has been an elapse in retention period or the purpose of management of personal information has been achieved if conservation of personal information is necessary for other laws.
Destruction process and method for personal information is as the following:
Procedure for Destruction
The “English webpage”establishes plans to destory personal information (or personal information files) and conveys those plans. The “English webpage” selects personal information (or personal information files) with reasons of destruction and destroys personal information (or personal information files) with an approval from the person in charge of personal information protection.
Method for Destruction
The “English webpage” destroys electronical copies of personal information with a use of Low Level Format to prevent regeneration of personal information records saved or recorded and burns hard copies of personal information saved or recorded.
- Procedure for Destruction
Article 8. Measures to Ensure Personal Information Safety
The “English webpage” takes measures as the following to ensure personal information safety:
Includes measures such as establishment and implementation of internal management plans
Includes measures such as management of access to softwares such as personal information management system, installation of access control system, encryptions such as unique identification information, installation of security programs
Includes measures that restricts physical access to organization’s information systems department and data storage room
- Managerial Measures
Article 9. Installation of Software for Automatic Collection of Personal Information – Matters Related to Operation and Refusal to the Use of these Software
- The “English webpage” uses a software called “cookie” which stores and retrieves information of the users in order to provide users with customized services.
A cookie is a small amount of information that the server (http) sends to user’s computer’s browser in order to operate a website.
It could be stored on the hard disk of the user’s personal computer.
Purpose of “Cookies”
Cookies are used to provide optimized information to users by identifying the types of visits and use of each service and web sites, secured access, and so on.
Installation of Cookies – Operation and Refusal to Use
You may refuse the operation of cookies with some options in the setting. Go to the upper corner of the web browser and click on tools > internet option > personal information.
- There may be some restrictions to the use of customized service if a user refuses to allow cookies.
- Purpose of “Cookies”
Article 10. Persons in Charge of Personal Information
The person in charge of personal information protection is designated as the following to
take overall responsibilities for handling personal information, related complaints of the users,
and damage relief in accordance with Clause 1 of Article 3 in Personal Information Protection Act.
Charge Department /Position Name Contact Number Person responsible for personal information protection Vice President/ General Director of Research Planning and Management Division Byung Young Park 043-530-9200 Office in charge for personal information protection Director-General / External Affairs Division SSang Cheol Lee 043-530-9433 Person in charge of personal information protection Office of International Cooperation Hyunjung Byeon 043-530-9233
- Users may direct inquiries related to personal information protection, concerns, and questions on damage relief that arise while using the “English webpage” to the person in charge personal information protection or the department in charge. Korean Educational Development Institute will promptly answer and process your inquiries and concerns.
Article 11. Request to View Personal Information
A user may submit a request to view his or her personal information to the department
below in accordance with Article 35 of Personal Information Protection Act.
Korean Educational Development Institute will work to promptly process the request of a user.
Category Department Name Contact Number List of authors
submitted for KJEP
Hyunjung Byeon 043-530-9233
- The user may also use Ministry of Interior and Safety’s comprehensive support portal
(www.privacy.go.kr) to submit a request to view his or her personal information.
- Comprehensive support portal of Ministry of Interior and Safety → Civil Petition → Request to view personal information (You may need to identify yourself through public I-PIN)
Article 12. Remedy for Violation of Rights
The user may inquire about damage relief, consultation for infringement of personal
information to the following organizations:
The following organizations are separate entities from Korean Educational Development Institute. If you are not satisfied with Korean Educational Development Institute’s procedures for handling your concerns for personal information protection, result of damage relief or seek further help, please contact the following organizations.
Personal Information Infringement Report Center (operated by Korea Internet & Security Agency)
- Responsibilities : Reporting personal information infringement, application for consultation
- Webpage : privacy.kisa.or.kr
- Phone : (no area code needed) 118
- Address : (58324) Jeollanam-do, Jinheung-gil 9 3rd Floor Personal Information Infringement Report Center
Personal Information Dispute Mediation Committee
- Responsibilities : Application for personal information dispute mediation, collective dispute mediation (civil settlement)
- Webpage : https://www.kopico.go.kr
- Phone : 1833-6972
- Address : (03171) 4th floor of Government Complex Seoul, 209 Sejong-daero, Jongno-gu, Seoul
- Supreme Prosecutors’ Office Cyber Crime Investigation Unit : (no area code needed) 1301 ( www.spo.go.kr )
- Cyber Bureau of National Police Agency : (no area code needed) 182 ( cyberburea.police.go.kr)
- Personal Information Infringement Report Center (operated by Korea Internet & Security Agency)
A person whose rights or interests have been infringed by a disposition or ommission of the head of a public institution
in response to a request to view, edit, delete,
and suspend his or her personal information may file an administrative appeal in accordance to Administrative Appeals Act.
- Please refer to the information on the phone number of the Central Administrative Tribunal(center.simpan.go.kr).
Article 13. Changes in Personal Information Management Policy
- This personal information management policy will be in practice since July 2021.
- You may find previous policies on personal information management below.