Shortcut content Shortcut menu

Resources

Research Reports

YEAR
SUBJECT
[RR2011-18] International Comparative Study: OECD Education and Social Progress (I) 
ABSTRACT FILE
RR2011-18_Abstract.pdf   RR2011-18_Abstract.pdf  
FULL TEXT FILE

TITLE
[RR2011-18] International Comparative Study: OECD Education and Social Progress (I)
AUTHOR(S)
Tae-Jun Kim
KEYWORDS
Social progress, Non-cognitive competencies, Social benefits of education
PUB .NO
RR2011-18

International Comparative Study: OECD Education and Social Progress (I)

The study investigated the effects of education on social progress through OECD Educational Social Progress research content analysis, literature reviews, data analysis, and analyzing national and international data to secure evidence.

The purposes of the study were to investigate the effects of education on social progress within the domains of social participation, trust and tolerance, and subjective well-being and to explore implications on education in Korea with the findings of the study. This study was driven by the following research questions: (a) first, how much influence does education hold in Korea on Social Progress (Social participation, trust and tolerance, and subjective well-being) compared with other countries? Also, are there differences in degrees of influence on social progress among different levels of education? (b) second, how cognitive and non-cognitive competences which can be considered as educational factors influence social progress in Korea are different compared to other countries? (c) third, is there a causal relation between education and social progress in Korea? If so, does the decrease or increase in cognitive and non-cognitive competences bring decrease or increase in social progress?