Shortcut content Shortcut menu

KJEP

Archive

VOLUME
Vol. 2 | (1)
ABSTRACT FILE
attached file   Journal-Takayasu Nakamura.pdf  
TITLE
Educational System and Parental Education Fever in Contemporary Japan: Comparison with the Case of South Korea
KEYWORDS
Japan, South Korea, education fever, educational system, parental attitudes and behaviors toward education, social class 

The purpose of this article is to show the homogeneity and heterogeneity of education fever among East Asian societies and to make some educational policy recommendations. First, I describe the present status of educational system in Japan as compared with South Korea. Second, I analyze the data from high school students in South Korea and Japan, collected in 2000 by our study group, and demonstrate homogeneity and heterogeneity of education fever phenomena through a cross-national comparative analysis. I found that parental education fever in terms of attitudes and behaviors in South Korea is much higher than in Japan and social class variables have effects on education fever in both societies. An international study of education fever is very important in the making of education policy